The transfer window opened at the beginning of January, and speculation about possible transactions is mounting. Read the latest gossip below and check out all the official deals here.
AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE Liverpool seeks replacement for Wijnaldum
It seems increasingly likely that Georginio Wijnaldum will leave Liverpool FC this summer. Fabrizio Romano has named two players who could take his place if the Dutch international leaves Anfield.
That means Jurgen Klopp and his team will be thinking about replacements, with the Transfer journalist saying that Yves Bissouma and Renato Sanchez, from Brighton & Hove Albion and Lille respectively, are the top two targets.
Romano also suggested that Liverpool could consider a move from the centre-back in the coming days following Joel Matip’s injury in Thursday’s 3-1 Premier League win against Tottenham Hotspur.
– ESPN FC Daily Stream on ESPN+ (US only)
– Live matches and streaming on ESPN+ (US only)
Possible loan exchange between Sanchez and Dzeko
Alexis Sanchez and Edin Jekko have had their own issues of late and could switch places temporarily, according to Sky Sports.
Internazionale are currently negotiating a loan swap that would send Sanchez to Rome and Jacko to Milan.
– Barnwell’s best moves: 100-51 | 50-1
– Summer transfer
– Recent major transfer
Christian Eriksen was reportedly initially to take Sanchez’s place at Roma, but Inter were not interested in replacing the midfielder with a striker.
Jacko has recently been linked with a return to the Premier League, where he played for Manchester City. West Ham United and Everton have shown interest in him.
The January window isn’t over yet, but Calciomercato are reporting that AC Milan are already making offers for the summer.
The Rossoneri have long been fans of Florian Thauvin, whose contract at Marseille expires in the summer.
Therefore, they have offered the Frenchman a four-year contract that should bring him €2.8 million per season.
They have also joined Otavio in Porto, whose contract also expires in the summer. The 25-year-old was offered a contract of the same length for a fee of 1.5 million euros.
– Saint-Etienne are hoping to sign Besiktas striker Syl Larin, according to Foot Mercato. Their offense has failed so far, with 20 goals against in 21 games, and they see this as the solution to Canada’s international problem. The Turkish club could let him go to make way for Cenk Tosun if they can bring in an Everton striker.
– Gedson Fernandes had a difficult time on loan at Tottenham Hotspur, and Tuttomercato claims he could now leave. History suggests that the Portuguese midfielder will be recalled by Benfica before moving to Galatasaray. The newspaper added that the 23-year-old Benfica Ferro defender could also sign for the Turkish Super Lig giants.
– Ainsley Maitland-Niles is expected to leave Arsenal on loan in the coming days, reports The Mirror. The 23-year-old is determined to get more game time to boost his chances of joining Gareth Southgate’s squad for this summer’s European Championships. If he is allowed to leave, Wolverhampton Wanderers could be interested after they tried to sign Maitland-Niles in the summer.