The first two Phantasm movies will both be getting their first Blu-ray release later this year, according to this news release from Phantasm director Don Coscarelli. The Phantasm Blu-ray versions will feature the director’s original cut of the films, along with the alternate ending originally screened in theaters. Both versions will also include the theatrical versions’ “Making Of” documentaries.
Next month, Phantasm II and Phantasm IV will finally get their first Blu-ray releases ever from Arrow Films, the company that is releasing the Phantasm movies on Blu-ray for the very first time. The company has a pretty decent track record with other cult classics like The Evil Dead, so it’s likely we’ll see a good quality release.
The third and fourth installments of the Phantasm series are getting a Blu-ray release this year. The first two films, Phantasm I and Phantasm II: Lord Of The Dead, are releasing on July 1, 2018, while the Phantasm 3 director’s cut will be released on September 28, 2018. The Phantasm Blu-ray release will be available for purchase on June 29, 2018.
The films in Don Coscarelli’s Phantasm series may not have gained the same acclaim as other genre attempts when they were first released, but they have subsequently gained a devoted fanbase, resulting in a number of home video releases. The first two films will be gathered in one package, according to Diabolik DVD, with the original Phantasm getting a remaster and Phantasm II is a sequel to Phantasm I. getting the director’s cut version. Pre-orders for the new Blu-ray collection are already open, with the release date scheduled for October 5th. Angus Scrimm, the series’ lead, died in 2016, and there are currently no plans for a sixth film.
The following is a description of the new set:
Remastered version of Phantasm
- Mike (Michael Baldwin) stands at a funeral watching as a tall mortician (Angus Scrimm) throws the unburied corpse into a waiting hearse as if it were nothing. Mike breaks inside the morgue in search of the explanation behind this strange sight, when he encounters the terrifying Tall Man. Mike enlists the assistance of his brother Jody (Bill Thornbury) and their mutual buddy Reggie after narrowly escaping with his life (Reggie Bannister). They set out to discover the Tall Man’s secrets and those who live in his terrible realm together. Phantasm: Remastered is classified R for nudity, violence, and violent sequences and runs for about 98 minutes.
The following are some of the unique features of Phantasm:
- Post Haste Digital has released a new 7.1 Dolby Atmos soundtrack.
- Commentary by Don Coscarelli and the Phantasm cast and crew at the Dunes Cantina Party
- New HD master of Angus Scrimm in black and white flashback footage from Phantasm: A Horse Drawn Hearse
- Director Don Coscarelli, co-producer Paul Pepperman, and Roberto A. Quezada provide audio commentary.
- Don Coscarelli’s audio commentary, starring A. Angus Scrimm, Michael Baldwin, and Bill Thornbury
- • Behind the Scenes Home Movies with commentary by Coscarelli and Reggie Bannister • Graveyard Carz episode with modified Phantasm homage ‘Cuda
- Scenes that were cut, Deleted Scenes, Deleted Scenes, Deleted Scenes
(Photo courtesy of the United States of America)
- After being released from a mental institution for seven years, Mike persuades his old friend Reggie to team up with him to track down and eliminate the Tall Man once and for all. Mike’s visions lead them to a sleepy small hamlet where a swarm of flying killer balls is slicing and dicing its way through the population. Phantasm II climaxes with a bloodcurdling finale that you have to see to believe, exploding with spectacular effects, unmatched thrills, terror, and suspense.
Special Features in Phantasm II:
- Don Coscarelli supervised and authorized a new 4K scan of the original camera negative.
- NEW Director’s Cut includes an X-rated sphere/gore scene that has never been seen before.
- Angus Scrimm and Reggie Bannister appear in an audio commentary with filmmaker Don Coscarelli.
- THE GORY DAYS and THE BALL IS BACK featurettes
- Deleted Scenes
- Scenes not included in the original workprint cut
- More behind-the-scenes video…
Pre-orders for the new Blu-ray collection are already open, with the release date scheduled for October 5th.
Are you planning to add this set to your collection? Let us know in the comments section below, or reach out to Patrick Cavanaugh on Twitter to discuss all things horror and Star Wars!
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- phantasm movie
- phantasm movies
- phantasm ii
- phantasm ball
- phantasm cast