Do you want to provide your pet the freedom of their own door? Then it’s a fantastic idea to consider pet door installation. Install a pet door is an incredible way for pet owners to give their pets free access to go outside to potty or exercise while they’re gone.
Nowadays, pet doors are available in different varieties, including small enough for a cat or large enough for a dog. However, don’t get any until you know the pros and cons. According to our analysis, pet doors for the wall are an excellent home improvement idea.
This article will explain how to install pet doors on walls.
- Keyhole Saw
- Wire coat hanger
- Philips Drill bit
- Reciprocating saw
- Flat pry bar
- Circular Saw
- Hammer Tracker
- Angle Grinder
- Utility Knife
Here are a few steps to follow to install a pet door:
Choose a Pet Door
In the first step, you need to choose the right pet door. Select the size of your home and your dog or cat when selecting. A few steps are given below;
- Take the measurement of your pet. Your selected cat or dog doors have to be large enough to accommodate the width and height of your pets. If you choose a small-sized pet door, pets may not feel comfortable passing through it. However, you can comfortably get a small, medium, and large pet door to accommodate your pet.
- Find out the size of the opening. The opening of the pet door matters more than the total size of the door. Your dog or cat door must be at least more than 1 inch higher and broader than your pet’s measurements.
Highlight the Placement of Door
- In the second step, you need to trace the dog and cat door template onto the place where you want to install the door using a pen.
- Mark all the essential screw holes and inside corners of the dog door opening.
- Drill Holes with an Electric Drill Machine
- Take a drill machine with 1/2- an inch drill bit to mark holes at the middle point of each marking.
Cut the Opening Of The Door With a Saw
- Use a hand saw to cut the opening for the pet door.
- Commence with one corner and cut along the outline you design with the template.
- Besides, insert the side without any flap into the outer body of the pet door from outside the house. You need to ensure that it fits flush against the pet door.
- A few pet door models have break-off levels that pliers can eliminate if the door is too deep. It will assist ensure it sits accurately.
- Until the dog and cat door sits flush, remove them one at a time.
Place The Frame
- Place the interior frame of the pet door on the interior side of your pet door. Besides, one with the flap is the interior side.
- Next, insert the screws, holding the pet door tightly to keep it well-balanced and straight.
Seal The Frame of The Pet Door
- In this step, you have to seal the frame of a pet door into an exterior door.
- Seal the inner part of the outer frame using caulk. This will assist fresh air from entering your house.
- Furthermore, installing an excellent pet door will make it easier for your pets to go in and out. There is a wide selection of pet doors available in the market. You can choose the one that fits your pet best.